Organizational overview and background
The Hawai‘i Department of Education’s (HIDOE) School Food Services Branch is responsible for implementing school meal programs at all 256 public schools in the system. They recently launched the Jump Start School Breakfast Initiative, which aims to improve school breakfast participation at public schools around the state. With funding and support from nonprofit partners, School Food Services Branch is expanding its breakfast program using innovative breakfast serving models, improved menus, and marketing and promotional campaigns.
The Jump Start Program Manager will be responsible for coordinating all aspects of the Jump Start School Breakfast Program, which is itself a component of the HIDOE’s larger ‘Aina Pono Initiative. Managing the overall project will include organizing advisory board meetings, oversight of marketing and community engagement strategies, and supporting individual schools as they transition to their new breakfast models. The position is housed at the School Food Services Branch office located in Honolulu.
- Plan, organize, and facilitate regular meetings of the project’s leadership team, which currently includes multiple partners from business, government, and nonprofit. Manage the transition of the current leadership team from a working group to an advisory board.
- Organize regular meetings of both the advisory board and the School Food Supervisors to track implementation and provide project updates to partners
- Work with School Food Supervisors to ensure schools meet deadlines for choosing and implementing their breakfast models, and reporting back on their results (deadlines to be set by the advisory board)
- Work with School Food Supervisors to develop and implement a transparent process for providing equipment and funding for program costs to individual schools
- Work with the HIDOE Communications Office and other partners to share project highlights on social media and traditional media outlets
- Develop and distribute marketing and outreach materials to promote Jump Start to partners and assist schools in implementation
- Assist the School Food Services Branch menu committee in the development of new breakfast menu items
- Assist School Food Supervisors with regional and school level training as needed
- Track school-level data on breakfast participation to identify which breakfast serving models are most effective, popular menu items, and other bright spots, and share this data with relevant partners
- Plan and coordinate various promotional events, to include at a minimum: three breakfast item sampling events, an annual breakfast recipe competition, and a year-end award summit
- Other duties as needed
The Jump Start Program Manager will report to the School Food Program Administrator. This position does not oversee staff.
Education and experience
- Bachelor’s degree or relevant experience in a field related to the work of this position such as public health, policy/planning, administration, community/organizational psychology, etc.; 5 years of appropriate experience in managing or coordinating a community-based public health, advocacy, or hunger-related agency could be substituted for bachelor’s degree
- At least two years of experience managing large scale collaborative projects with multiple partners from varying sectors
- Knowledge of federal child nutrition programs and/or food service management experience
- Experience in data collection and project evaluation
- Public relations or marketing skills
Attitudes, skills, abilities
Excellent project management and organizational skills
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Highly proficient with Microsoft Office and general computer skills
- Ability to work effectively under the pressure of tight time frames and rigid deadlines
- Self-directed, while also being able to work well in teams and with coalition partners
- Must be able to work 30 hours per week
- Must be able to attend meetings in the Honolulu area
- Must have a car and valid driver’s license
- Neighbor island travel may be required
This is a one-year contract position.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. The position will remain open until filled.