Hawai‘i Appleseed is working to build a more socially just Hawai‘i, where everyone has genuine opportunities to achieve economic security and fulfill their potential. We change systems that perpetuate inequality and injustice through policy development, coalition building, and advocacy.
At Hawai‘i Appleseed, we carry out our mission by engaging in:
- Advocacy at state and local departments to ensure that the policies, laws, and practices intended to address the problems of those living in poverty are well designed and implemented fairly and effectively
- Policy reports that educate and inform key stakeholders of the issues facing the communities we represent and provide ingenious, high-quality solutions to the problems that we work on
- Legal advocacy, including the bringing of class action suits, to assist low income individuals and communities in the enforcement of their rights and the obtaining of benefits under the law
- Workshops and other educative measures to inform low income individuals and groups of their rights and how to exercise them
- Grassroots coalition-building with other community groups who share a common interest in alleviating poverty in Hawai’i, and supporting the work of public interest advocates in Hawai‘i through collaborative partnerships